Wouldn’t you know that just when I felt like sewing again, I was forced to restrict my activities to let my poor back heal. I tried to mostly read and watch Netflix but after a while I needed more variety. So I picked up a hand piecing project that had been living in my suitcase to keep me occupied during my travels. This project has a long history. I started out wanting to do a Rose Star using a kite template. But as you can see from my 12″ floor tiles, these were going to be huge hexagons
So I looked at a layout with just two rounds of kite pieces instead of five and decided that was more feasible. I cut some bright scraps to sew a test block.
After making the bright block, I started down a different road and finished this little quilt last November.
Then I picked up the purple/yellow pieces as my travel project. I didn’t have many blocks left to sew when I recently pulled the baggie from my suitcase so the focus changed to joining them all together. But after I got them on my design wall, I was not pleased with the look–a real de-motivator when it comes to hand piecing. I had successfully “sashed”the bright quilt so I looked through my stash for something to make the new blocks more cohesive and I’m happy with my choice. I don’t have a template for the side squaring triangles so I cut them bigger and will trim later. The border strip is only laid on top in the last photo and only one side of the “sashing” is sewn.