It seems forever since I have worked on my Mourning Jules quilt but that is because I didn’t have a quilting plan for the border. I had bought a template but decided it was too whimsical for the theme of this quilt.
When I did the wavy border on the Fish in the Attic quilt (previous post), I started thinking it would work for the mourning quilt as a representation of grief as a roller coaster. As I just quilted in the ditch for the body, this gave a similar amount of quilting to the border and I am happy with how it looks. I used a Clover chalk marker for the first time and have not yet tried to remove the residue. Hope it comes out easily. Two more sides and this one is finished (except for a sleeve and a label).
As is my usual style, I cut way too many tumblers for this quilt. I had originally wanted to show movement from sombre colors to yellows but that plan never came together so I combined what was left into another little quilt. What a difference the yellow made–and some rather bright green! I machine pieced it and have just starting the hand quilting. Here are design wall and design floor photos. In the second photo, I’m measuring the fabric for the backing.
These quilts were so much fun to put together that I had been cutting scraps into tumblers (it takes a 3.5″ strip) and I decided to make one more. I started it last but finished it first and it is already given away to a very cute and special 3-yr old. It is machine pieced and machine quilted and I just folded the backing over the front edge for the binding. It still amazes me how putting all these crazy colors together works!