Back in August, I was working on a couple of fish quilts from fabric that my friend Carol gave me for donation quilts. I was so excited about how my first Attic Window turned out. Here it is ready for basting and quilting.
Now is where the crying part comes in. I had used a purple flannel backing from my friend Ali and I knew about flannel and shrinkage so it was pre-washed. After quilting, I folded the backing over for a self-binding and then washed the quilt. When I took it out of the washer, something appeared to be amiss but I put it in the dryer and crossed my fingers–to no avail. It was a disaster. It resembled a pan of biscuits!
At first I thought I should have washed the flannel twice but upon further inspection it appeared the broadcloth I used as sashing was the culprit. Now when I first started quilting, I pre-washed everything but as time went on, I decided it wasn’t really necessary. I think as a general rule, this is true but in the case of this thin broadcloth, an experienced quilter should have known better. And at this point, an experienced quilter would have given this quilt to a canine friend but I liked the “fish in the attic” so much that…you guessed it. I unpicked all the binding and quilting (fortunately minimal) and then unpicked all the sashing from the fish blocks. You can bet I washed the replacement fabric!
By the time I started putting it all back together, I had become thoroughly sick of it and just had to get it out of my sight for a while. But now I’m in the mood to finish a few things as the year draws to a close and this is definitely one I want off my list. I will begin basting it tonight. I cut the sashing slightly smaller than the first version because I am reusing the same flannel backing–that has now been washed twice :-)–and I wanted to be sure it all fit back together. I actually liked the darker color of the first sashing better but up close, the new fabric is cuter. Still, I will be really glad when this one is finished!