I am not partial to irregular edges on bed quilts so my first thought for straightening the two sides of Cielo Azul was to add large half triangles.
True to form (will I never learn), I cut them all before I decided to baste a couple to see what it really looked like. The rest of the quilt was a pressing dream with all seam intersections making either a 3 or 6-fabric twirl for a nice flat finish. After basting one triangle pair, I realized this was just going to make a mess of the edge pressing.
So I went to Plan B, cutting half diamonds from the already cut triangles. I’ll trim the existing diamonds–which were already part of the hexagons–for a nice straight edge. I don’t think it will look bad with just that little bit missing and my organized pressing plan won’t be compromised 🙂