On a recent trip to Panama, I got to spend several days with my friend Carol–sewing, chatting and dreaming about future projects. Her fabric tastes have changed since she started quilting so she sent a stack of fish fabric home with me to make into community service quilts. There were 12 half yards of different prints and a 2 yard piece suitable for backing–a very generous donation. The fabric is so fun, I immediately started playing with it. For 6 of the half yards, my current plan is to make attic windows quilts. Here is the beginning of one. I had never made this pattern and after these first two blocks, I had to tweak the window frame measurements just a hair.
The other 6 half yards are more overall prints so I decided to cut 9″ squares and combine 3 prints in each of 2 quilts. The first one is complete (except for a label) and ready to turn in at my next guild meeting. For quilting, I did QID around the sashing and then did a couple of wavy lines through each square.
Here are a couple of close-ups of the back for the quilting and the cute fabrics–thanks again Carol. Oh, and I successfully sewed down the binding by machine instead of hemming it by hand. Loving that, especially with 6 more donation quilts in the pipeline.