Our group of 12 met in January to talk about logistics and pick our 12 themes. Each person wrote two themes on a piece of paper and dropped it into a paper bag. They were then drawn out one at a time. If there was a duplicate first choice, the second would be chosen but I think everyone got their first choice. We are working to interpret the themes in the order they were drawn with two months to complete each quilt. The owner of the theme facilitates the reveal meeting. The first theme (for March) was Wealth.
My first thought as I was leaving the meeting was “I can try beading with lots of gold beads.” By the time I got home my thinking was toward a broader interpretation of wealth. Great, but how to depict it. This is the hardest part for me. It was several days before the idea of the “Wheel of Fortune” came to me. Can you tell I watch Pat and Vanna? I decided on six slices, came up with the words Health, Love, Knowledge, Money, Friends and Spirituality and experimented for size and thread type. Then I used my final picks as place indicators for machine embroidering onto the actual wheel.
I attached the wheel onto a piece of Stiffy stabilizer by Sulky because I wanted to be able to spin it. Then I stitched the words. I had planned to add a backing before binding the pie but decided the stabilizer would glide better over the base. For the base, I wanted to embroider the title. For that I needed stabilizer on the back and had to sew a sample caption so I would know how to center it.
The finished caption was on the wimpy side and I was thinking about filling it in with a Sharpie but even experimenting with starch on the practice words, I was fearful the bleeding would ruin it and require starting over. Decided to just live with it. This little exercise was beginning to teach me to find imperfection acceptable!
Now I needed to attach the pie to the base. I thought thread would be too draggy so I chose wire and for the first time ever on one of my quilts, I had to use pliers 🙂
It worked. My Wheel of Fortune spins just like on TV. It was a fun exercise–both in the mental conceptualizing and the construction. One of our members has a darling husband who professionally lights and photographs all her quilts. He graciously volunteered his service for our 12 x 12 projects. Hence a superior photo of finish #1–Wealth.