Working on my Mourning Jules quilt has been such a comfort to me during the weeks around the first anniversary of his passing. Although it is not finished, I far surpassed the goal I set for myself in early May to at least finish the top by the one year milestone. Because I was going to do the hand quilting in my lap, I did the binding after putting a row of quilting just inside the border. I was rushing a bit and left the binding ends loose as I was attaching it by machine–a mistake I won’t repeat 🙂 Photo on the right has the loose binding pinned out of the way–how I usually do it to begin with.
I am quilting in the ditch, surrounding every piece. I had all the horizontal rows done the day before the anniversary so I was able to remove all the basting and slept under the quilt that night–VERY comforting indeed. I am still working on the vertical quilting and am considering several ideas for the border. I’m very pleased with the result so far.