I made myself a New Year’s promise that I would not start another project until I got a few things completed. A hard promise to keep but motivating 🙂 My first finish was Pat’s quilt. Next a seemingly small task but always one I avoid–the label for my Kaleidoscope quilt which I plan to enter in this year’s QuiltFest. I was pleased with the result.
Third, the scrap stars beach blanket is done. It is not a masterpiece and barely seems a quilt but it fits the technical definition. Because it was all just an experiment (fusing scrap diamonds on some canvas-like fabric), I was free to try different things without them needing to be anywhere close to perfection. The top layer was already quite heavy and I was going to back it with the same fabric so instead of batting, I used a piece of decorator fabric I had no other use for and machine quilted in the ditch around the blocks. Next I wanted to try attaching the binding totally by machine. I started basting it that way but midway around, decided finishing by hand would look better. This proved rather tricky with the heavy fabrics and no batting so I eventually went back to the machine experiment. The binding is done using two different methods–something I would NEVER do on a real quilt. Talk about an unchained feeling! Then, I needed to add some “quilting” in the middle of the blocks to hold things together. Since I am not a free motion quilter yet, I experimented with some different programmed machine stitches and finally came up with one I liked. The heavy layers did not want to feed through my machine but at this point, I was loving the wonkiness of this project. I absolutely love my imperfect pink star “quilting.” I may eventually try one more quilting technique which I have sketched in washable graphite but for now I’m calling this a finish.
Finally, the Wandering Stars quilt I was working on when I first started this blog over a year ago. I had machine quilted the blocks and was adding some hand quilting that was more ripping out than adding. Nothing was pleasing me so I put it away. Now although it’s not quite completed, I finished the border, was able to add the binding and have a workable plan for the interior.