I have not had a lot of experience completing or fixing someone else’s work. But on a recent trip with my mom to visit her younger sister, my aunt asked me to redo some applique blocks their older sister (now passed away) had stitched. She did not like the sashing and wanted it replaced with something “better.” On further investigation, we also discovered one block was prominently stained.
The first order of business was to find a more appropriate sashing fabric. I had hoped I could use something from my stash but of course that was not the case. My quilty friend/consultant Carol and I settled on the white with pink/green rosebuds. The white background was a nice mate for the white dogwood flowers. This was an audition of a new purchase so now I had to buy more. I actually wanted to use it as backing too but there was not enough left on the bolt. I considered yellow cornerstones but nixed that idea.
On a cheerier note, Pat’s quilt is completed. I used the precut strips included in my giveaway win for the binding. Unfortunately the cuts were not on the straight of grain so the rather dominant pattern shifted as it went around the quilt. Another binding lesson learned. But I had used the strip fabric as cornerstones and wanted the balance of having them in another element. Actually because most of the fabrics are so busy, I think everything turned out OK in the end.