Not my happiest quilting tale-but plenty of PROCESS.
I really enjoyed hand piecing these tumbling stars. While I was working on them, I started experimenting with dyeing because I was seeing such lovely snow-dyed mandalas on several blogs and wanted one for the backing for this quilt. Even though I ordered special colors of dye, I never got up the nerve to possibly ruin 3 yards of 108″ fabric. So I decided to order some Kona solids to combine with fabrics from the quilt into a pieced backing. A few picked seams/adjustments later, my result was not thrilling but OK to proceed (photo on right). Ignore the bump–it’s the edge of my area rug.
I should have added my borders before cutting/stitching my backing (see beginning photo) as it did not turn out large enough to accommodate my planned 5″ double border. But that worked OK since the dark outer fabric I had in mind was too overpowering for the quilt top. I decided on a 2.5″ finished border with the dark for binding (photo shows 2″ strip which was original planned inner border).
I was reluctant to trim the edge diamonds before stitching so I sewed a basting stitch with the border side up. When that didn’t hit the points quite right, I sewed again from the quilt side to hit my seam ends. Aargh–not a stellar result. For side two I marked 1/4″ from seam ends, trimmed, aligned the fabric edges and sewed with quilt top facing up. Much better. Picked out side one and did over.