The kaleidoscope itself, especially with the fabrics I chose, is pretty busy so I thought a simple border might be in order. I didn’t even attempt to use my wonky strata scraps as I originally planned. I auditioned a plain strip with a narrow inner border and some strips cut from the strata but did not like either of those. So I went online looking for ideas. I found a nine patch border at quilting assistant. I liked how it mirrored the star points in a square format but in my first attempt, the blocks were too big, the magenta too dark, the corner sections too large. It was overpowering. My second attempt with smaller blocks and my lighter magenta fabric was much more pleasing to my eye. The decision was made.
The border is now finished. In the final photo I have placed a folded sheet on my carpet and secured the quilt with pins for a final squaring press before I sandwich it for quilting. Now I have to find a backing that will be a perfect companion for the front.