Lots of photos today so I think I’ll try thumbnails.
First photo is my first set of replacement points. I sewed them on (without trimming the original points) and laid the pieces together. Although I have that fabric in my second strata, as a center the color looked too dull. Next I thought about trying to capture the center of a flower but decided the seam allowances would make that look weird. so I just cut 6 triangles from my background fabric, mixing up the colors in a “fruit salad” look. In the third photo they are just pinned.
I measured the point location before I cut and used a little paper template to mark the points. Then followed RT’s instructions for sewing the remaining 6 sections. The resulting quilt was not totally flat but I thought I could do some persuasive pressing. The next photo shows it needed more than pressing. So even though Petunia and Tiglet thought it was OK, I took the center apart and tightened up the seams in about an 8 inch radius. I did the very center by hand this time. Kitties agree the second photo is much better. Perfection me is happier too.
On the left, the final center without kitties Second, the back–a little worn since I had to fiddle with it so much during machine stitching then seam ripping. I pressed the seams open till the last cross seam, then twirled. Love that flat twirl. Threw in the photo of the whole back just because I thought it looked cool. Now, onward to the border!