It may be a little hard to see my round 3 experiments–especially since the light outer fabric blends with my tile design floor. In this photo look at the three additions on top of the orange points. Starting to the right of the freezer paper, attempt 1. I did not like the split chevron where it met the orange. I changed the angle of my template on the strata and cut attempt 2 (moving clockwise). Now the magenta strip is flat and there is just too much orange touching. Yuck! Continuing clockwise, attempt 3 I cut longways with the strips using only two of the colors in my strata. I like this one but have by now used too much of my strata to cut 5 more sets. A minor slowdown. I’ll sew two new strata of only two colors. Hopefully a completed round 3 photo tomorrow.
I told my friend Carol about the snag before publishing this post. She was mortified about wasting fabric and thought there must be a way to preview before cutting. The idea I’ve come up with for Round 4 is to fold my two mirror strata and place it in the next position. Then cover with a contrasting fabric where I plan to cut. Harder to describe than do I think. Watch for the experiment in a future post. Meanwhile, I was already planning to use my left-over cuts for a scrappy border and Ricky Tims had said this might require more strata so nothing will go to waste.