Lesson learned today–I don’t do 60 degree applique points on small pieces with (supposedly) straight sides. Here are three examples of why. Sorry about all the different colors–multiple lighting conditions when photographed.
I tried basting (which I used successfully on my first applique), starch and then a glue stick like my friend Carol originally recommended. I just don’t have the skill level for these pieces yet. Or maybe it was just a bad design to begin with. At least before I finished this border, it became clear to me it would not enhance my quilt.
I’ll keep the light piano key border minus the applique (Plan D). I may use single stars in the corners. They are the only pieces I finally felt OK about. Below points were glued before stitching.
Surprisingly, I’m in a Zen state now about all this unpicking. I had just removed the handpieced 2nd border which had taken two weeks to piece and attach. Not to mention the many hours spent prepping, stitching and picking out this nixed applique. I’m becoming quite the expert at picking out all those little backstitches and ending knots.
I don’t want to close on a sour note so let me say this applique border has brought two new threads into my life. I first bought a tan Gutermann silk which I thought might blend with all my browns but although delightful to use, it was too light for some of the pieces. My next purchase was a darker brown Gutermann cotton. I’m also loving it for applique as it is the finest 100% cotton I have used so far. If we look hard enough, we can most always find something to be thankful for!