My good friend Pat and her mother Barbara came to see Winner’s Bouquet when it was still in progress on my design wall. I told them I planned to use it on my bed and Barbara asked if I would like one of her paintings which she said would be an ideal color match for the quilt. I had seen some of her work so I was elated. The two watercolors were originally one but Barbara’s art teacher suggested she cut it in half and make two separate paintings. They will be the perfect companions for my quilt. I plan to hang them side by side with the left one a few inches higher than the right.
To protect the paintings which Barbara sometimes takes to art shows/sales, her husband Bob had mounted them in a single off-white mat. I knew I wanted to change the mats to a more coordinated color so off I went to Michael’s. Besides the standard pre-cut sizes not fitting, the color selections were too basic. So I priced custom double mats–a medium purple for the inside and a dusty aqua for the outside. Very nice–but after I recovered from that shocking pricetag, I decided I could probably use some left-over fabric from the quilt to give it a really coordinated look. I bought some Aleene’s Acid-free Tacky Glue to secure the fabric to the existing mat. I needed the ribbon to cover the raw edges and while those color choices were limited, I think the final result is quite pleasing. Thank you Barbara for this wonderful and special gift.
The hand quilting on Winner’s Bouquet is about 1/3 completed. I am working on it every minute my sore hands will allow. Today I will go ahead and add the binding to give myself a break from the repetitive hand stitching.